Buying watermelon: How to tell if it’s ripe and sweet

0 0
Spread the love
Read Time:1 Minute, 16 Second

Summertime is watermelon time! Watermelons live up to their name: they consist of almost 95 percent water, which makes them a refreshing summer snack. The remaining 5 percent contains valuable ingredients such as amino acids, minerals and vitamins. Reason enough to reach for them more often in hot temperatures! But nothing is worse than an unripe and tasteless melon. That’s why we’re revealing three simple tricks to help you quickly and easily determine whether a watermelon is already ripe or even too ripe.

  1. Sound – Tap the watermelon with your knuckles. If you hear a hollow, dark sound, the watermelon is ripe.
  1. Yellow spot – The spot on the watermelon also provides information about the ripeness of the fruit – i.e., the spot where the melon was lying in the field. If the watermelon has touched the ground in the field during the ripening process, it is more likely to be riper than a watermelon without a yellow spot. However, the watermelon is overripe if the spot is very intense yellow.
  2. Weight – Ripe watermelons are usually heavier than watermelons of the same size that are not yet fully ripe.

In principle, watermelons can also ripen at home at room temperature. However, watermelons that ripen in the field are considered to be more aromatic.

Cutting it open can also tell whether a watermelon is ripe enough. There is a white edge between the flesh and the rind. The narrower this edge, the riper the watermelon is.

Happy
Happy
0 %
Sad
Sad
0 %
Excited
Excited
0 %
Sleepy
Sleepy
0 %
Angry
Angry
0 %
Surprise
Surprise
0 %

This post has already been read 7549 times!

Related posts

Average Rating

5 Star
0%
4 Star
0%
3 Star
0%
2 Star
0%
1 Star
0%

Leave a Comment