In an interview with “ZiB Spezial”, Federal Chancellor Sebastian Kurz confirmed that the attack in downtown Vienna on Monday evening was “definitely a terrorist attack”. The attack had been prepared “very professionally”. The perpetrators were also very well equipped with weapons. Minister of the Interior Kal Nehammer spoke of “the most difficult day for Austria in many years”.
Chancellor Kurz spoke of a “disgusting terrorist attack”. One would not bow to this terror and “fight these attacks decisively with all means”. “Whoever attacks one of us attacks us all”, said the Minister of the Interior. “It is a difficult situation for all of us to face together if we act in a disciplined manner,” said Nehammer.
The police operation is running at full speed. It was not clear whether people would be able to return to the streets normally on Tuesday. The danger has not yet been completely eliminated. He added that nothing could really be said about the background to the bloody deed. Given the proximity of the crime scene to the main synagogue in Vienna, an anti-Semitic background could not be ruled out. The Chancellor stated that the number of wounded was 15.
Earlier, Kurz had made a short TV statement thanking the task force and assuring the victims’ relatives that his thoughts were with them. The head of government thanked international partners for the support offered.
“We are currently experiencing difficult hours in our republic. I would like to thank all the emergency forces who are risking their lives, especially today, for our security. The whole country is thinking of the victims, the injured and their relatives, to whom I express my deepest sympathy,” said Kurz. He also thanked the leadership of the European Union and international partners for their sympathy and expressions of solidarity.
Vice Chancellor and Green Party leader Werner Kogler spoke after the incident of “shocking terror”. “We all share the concern and grief for the victims and injured”, Kogler wrote on Twitter. The danger has not yet been averted. “Please stay at home and follow the instructions of the emergency services,” Kogler said. The Vice-Chancellor thanked all the emergency forces who have dedicated their lives to the protection of all people living in Vienna.
Vienna’s mayor Michael Ludwig (SPÖ) expressed his horror on Twitter: “We were deeply shocked to receive the information about the shooting in the inner city. The pictures are shocking and leave us stunned”. He also appealed to the Viennese to stay at home. Up to now, nothing is known about the identity or motives of the perpetrators. However, they hope to gain knowledge as soon as the dead man can be examined.
hp, source: orf.at. Picture:Screenshot, from socialmedien
This post has already been read 1113 times!