Almost everyone knows the problem: you take the bread out of the bread bin and look forward to a delicious dinner, but there’s a greenish discoloration on the edge. Unfortunately, this is the case for the garbage can. This is because the mold spores penetrate the fabric and spread invisibly throughout the bread. However, mold is not a death blow for all foods! If you’re wondering which food belongs in the bin and which can still be saved by cutting off the affected areas, you should read on now.
Throw away: mold is dangerous in these foods
Many people tend to cut away mold-infested areas to avoid wasting too much food and hope the problem has gone away. However, this is strongly discouraged for many foods because toxins can form depending on the type of mold. These cause health problems such as gastrointestinal complaints, circulatory problems, liver and kidney damage, cancer, or a weakening of the immune system. It is particularly dangerous for pregnant women, people with a weakened immune system, and children. You should, therefore, refrain from trying to save these foods if they are infested with mold.
You can eat these foods despite mold
Mold on hard cheese is not an immediate sign to throw it away. Mold cannot spread on Parmesan cheese, for example. You can, therefore, generously cut away the affected piece and still enjoy it. The same applies to air-dried meat products such as salami or serrano ham. And, of course, there is also the noble mold, which is also harmless; camembert, gorgonzola, and noble salami are therefore safe to eat.